WRTLHD Stock News

WRLTHD Stock News

WRLTHD News Feed

An interview with Design Engineer, Bern Gropp

Story and photo's by Ray Tharaldson
all rights reserved 2012

When did you first start contemplate becoming a design engineer?

Back in eighth grade I signed up for wood shop & mechanical drawing.  In high school I took pre-engineering, drafting classes. 

What was your first job in this industry?

It was Garden City Fan in Niles, Michigan. I was a tool & die technician.  We made huge industrial fans.

Where did you go from there?

I went to Phillips Industries as an engineer. We designed electrical brake systems for the RV industries. After that I began freelancing odd jobs that came along. That’s where I began working with plastics. One of my first projects was creating RV dashboards. 

When did you open your first shop?

In 1983 I opened my shop in Mishawaka, IN.

I engineered what is commonly called a trapeziod trailer. I designed a front end to make them more aerodynamic and matched the design overall. Kinda stealth looking.  Within a year everyone was incorporating the same design concept. 

Did the success of this product open any other doors?

This product diffentently got my name out there and added to my professional creditability.

What other products have you been successful with?

The Taktop, it’s a fifth wheel truck lid for a goose neck horse and cattle trailer for storing related gear. 

What followed the Taktop?

In the nineties, I began doing design work for companies like Twentieth Century,  Jason,  Hopcap, Lear,  Astro and Covermaster. Things like outer  shells of large motor homes. 

When did you land at your current location?

About two years  ago.

Why did you choose this location?

I choose it based on its proximity to the Hummer Plant. Loads of high visibility. 

What are the current projects your involved with?

The EPK, Easy Portable Kitchen, The Plumbing Shroud and The Pontoon Wheel Assist.

Tell me about them.

Easy Portable Kitchen (EPK) is a portable, sanitary prep station.  Made of quality materials from top to bottom.   
The fiberglass basin is covered with a durable gelcoat finish and features an inset of marine grade starboard cutting surface. The EPK is supported by sturdy, aluminum, collapsable and adjustable legs to compensate for the physical needs of each user. Two large portholes fitted with bio-degradable plastic bags allow the user to easily dispose of waste. The EPK fitted with gravity feed plastic bags filled with water making food prep and final cleanup a breeze. Field tests with tailgaters, outdoorsmen and back yard party hosts has shown an overwhelming appreciation for this product.


What is the plumbing shroud? 

A client came to me with the idea and I determined it was a mouse trap that needed to be redesigned. 

What did you do to make it a better mouse trap?

My research on under sink  shrouds showed a lack of  durability and failure of bacterial resistance.  By using  marine gradable materials I was able to knock down the level of  bacterial contamination, cut down the weight of the unit and made it more pleasing aesthetically.

How did you develop the idea for the Pontoon Wheel Assist?

I lived on a lake and noticed people struggling with getting their pontoons in and off the water. Most people don’t own trailers for their pontoons and must pay someone to do so. I calculated that over 10 years the average pontoon owner would spend about six thousand dollar’s. I also got to thinking these people leave the pontoon on one lake all season long unlike a boat that can be taken to different locations. I came up with a fairly simple cost efficient  solution. That being a tandem wheel setup that slides under the pontoons while its still in buoyant .  I figured it would cost  probably about a oner time shot of six hundred dollars versus 6,000 over ten years to build. A pretty good savings compared to $6,000 a guy would spend to hire  someone.

When did you get your first taste of working with Hollywood?


At the time I was doing work for Norm's Fiberglass in Mishawaka, In. One day NORM got a call from the west coast asking if we interested in building the ground effects for a Solstice for the movie Fast & Furious that was in pre-production.

How much leeway were you given in the creative process? 

We had already developed four or five ground effects packages for the Solstice for the market before they called. So we weren't starting from ground zero. 

What was it like to see your work on the screen?

Epic, the light bulb came on and I was instantly convinced  that was the direction I wanted to go with my career.

Who’s been some of your inspiration?

Chuck Barrus, the Hollywood special vehicles designer really motivates me. 

Where would you like to see yourself going in the future?

I really want to apply my talents to the movie industry.  The projects in Hollywood really excite me. It seems like a major portion of the the movie success relies on talented engineers who can  physically bring to life the vision the creators see in their minds.

That’s sounds exciting, I wish you the best of luck! Thanks for sitting down and sharing your knowledge with us.


For more information: (574) 807-5679

No comments: